“Start spreadin’ the news
I’m leaving today…
I want to beeee a part of it,
New York – New York…”
This is what I hummed from Seattle to New York City last weekend on our way to the New York Stationery Show. My seat neighbor was probably less than thrilled on round 27 of my tune. In thinking of how I could re-tell our stories to you with some New York flair, I landed on David Letterman’s “Top Ten List”. So without further ado, here are the:
Top Ten Things from Compendium in the City:
10. Since we already covered the humming, you should know that I am always happy. I high-five coworkers, hug strangers, sing in traffic, etc. Working at Compendium means we are surrounded by inspiration on a daily basis, and this inspiration rubs off. This was evident when my cab driver looked in his rearview mirror and said, “You sure smile a lot.”
9. New York City has the best slice of pizza for $1.00 at 9th and 41st. I will buy you a slice if you can find a better one.
8. We debuted our new boxed card sets and had outstanding feedback! It’s so fun to hear people get excited about new products!
7. We met an extraordinary woman with a touching story. She came to the show to window shop and while shuffling through all of the busy booths, she discovered us. She couldn’t help but stop. She told us that she had stage 3 cancer, and is now living her life to the fullest. She was touched by our products. We were touched by her courage.
6. Have you ever seen a cuter face? Okay, maybe I’m biased, since this is my child.
Side note: Our new kids products are SO fun!! I can’t wait to get the new World of Thanks kit out!
5. Note to self/tip to travelers: Always carry an umbrella in New York City. Sudden DOWNPOUR and a nine-block walk in the rain make Liz a very soaked girl.
4. Our designers went to see the Letterman show and brought a Tickle Monster Laughter Kit for Dave’s son Harry. The show’s producer had much fun with the mitts, I’m wondering if we have an adult demographic we are overlooking…
3. We stocked our booth with One books to give away. Three days and dozens of “Are you the ones giving away that cool blue book?”, and we inspired 1000 new Compendium friends and fans.
2. The Louie Awards are like the Oscars of our industry. Last year we won Greeting Card of the Year with a Positively Green card and this year, WE BROUGHT HOME TWO AWARDS for Friendship and Sympathy cards! Such a great honor!
1. At the Louies we were introduced to a young man named Ian Meier. Ian is a 5th grader who makes incredible handcrafted greeting cards out of his bedroom, sells them at local stores, and loves inspiring other people. Ian’s passion and innocence warmed my heart. In the age of video games, Facebook hellos, and twitter thank-yous, Ian is bringing his generation back to gratitude. He reminded me to think of how thankful I am for the people in my life who make me smile. Then he encouraged me to slow down. And tell them.