Who in your life has made you smile recently? A friend who seems to know just the right words to say? A neighbor who always says hello when you’re checking the mail? Our days are filled with simple delights, made possible by the people who we get to share life with. Perhaps the greatest gift we can give in return is our gratitude.
September 20 to 26 is Thinking of You Week, a celebration to create a wave of kindness with handwritten notes. It’s an invitation to notice the people who enrich our lives, then take a moment to let them know! And it really does only take a moment to share happiness. Whether you tuck your thoughts into a Love Muchly card, write a short note on the back of a ThoughtFulls pop-open card, or craft a homemade creation, your words will remind someone how much they matter.
Brighten someone’s day with a thoughtful note by following these simple steps:
Step 1: Choose someone to delight!
Who can you offer a few words to say thank you or reach out to with timely encouragement? There are lots of people you can share “thinking of you” messages with:
- Recognize a teacher who’s made a difference in your life.
- Reconnect with a friend you’ve lost touch with.
- Encourage a caregiver whose generous heart makes a difference.
- Celebrate a coworker who adds something special to your day.
- Share gratitude for a hometown hero—such as a healthcare worker, a mail carrier, or a grocery store clerk.
- Thank a volunteer whose commitment makes things possible.
- Reach out to a loved one who could use a little lift.
- Celebrate a babysitter whose presence gives you peace of mind.
- Write an uplifting note for a stranger to find.
Step 2: Record your thoughts.
Sometimes, putting pen to paper can feel daunting. But there is no “right” way. Write as much or as little as you like, trusting your sincerity to lead the way. Consider these topics to get you started:
- Record a specific quality you admire about the person you are writing to.
- Recount a favorite memory you share together.
- Write down something that has changed for the better since this person has been in your life.
- If you are leaving a note for a stranger, find an uplifting quote or short motto to add a smile to their day.
Step 3: Find a fun way to share your note.
An unexpected card can be a wonderful surprise, and the discovery is part of the joy! Here are some creative places to leave your card:
- Attach to a plate of homemade cookies.
- Tuck into a book.
- Leave on a desk or workspace.
- Place under a windshield wiper.
- Send via snail mail.
- Tie to a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine.
The time is always right to show kindness, share inspiration, and recognize the ones who make our world a more beautiful place. So, let’s get started!